Storage Packing Tips
Careful packing is important and can prevent damage or breakage of fragile items. It is helpful to be organized and mark your cartons well with a permanent marker. If you are planning a move this is a good time to get rid of unwanted items that can take up valuable storage space. Community Mini Storage offers a wide selection of packing and storage supplies on site for your convenience. If you are not sure what you will need to appropriately store your items ask our storage advisor.
- Storage boxes that are tightly sealed with packing tape will prevent dust from entering. Fill boxes tightly, taking care to neither over pack nor under pack. Bulging cartons tip when stacked while half full boxes tend to collapse.
- Pack heavy items such as books or tools in smaller boxes. Pack books flat to protect their spine.
- Pack dishes and glassware with lots of paper. Place a layer of packing paper inside the bottom and top of each box. Wrap each dish and glass separately and cushion them with crumpled paper. Plates are best stacked on edge. We have boxes available called dish packs and cell kits with are ideal for glasses and stemware.
- Label boxes on all sides for easy identification. Keep a list for reference. Clearly mark all boxes containing fragile items. Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
- Use the space inside dresser drawers to store small items such as linens, towels and small fragile items.
- Place bedspreads, draperies and clothing on the hangers in a wardrobe box. Unused space at the bottom of wardrobe boxes can be used to store blankets or shoes. We have both large and short wardrobe boxes available to our customers.
- Wrap furniture legs with protective bubble wrap, furniture covers or pads to prevent scratching.
- Leave slipcovers on upholstered chairs and cover them with a plastic chair cover.
- Tape or tie bed rails together. Mark the pieces for easy assembly later.
- Mattresses should be stored flat on level surfaces. Place covers or plastic bags on mattresses to keep them clean during storage.
- Mirrors and paintings are best wrapped with paper and stored upright in boxes specially designed for these items.
- Polish wood surfaces before storing. When storing metal items, wipe all surfaces with a rag containing oil to prevent rust.
- Garden tools are best stored in trash cans such as shovels, rakes or hoes. A small drop of machine oil will prevent rusting on tools.
Community Mini Storage is here to help you with all your packing and storage needs. Please feel free to call us at 415-924-3660 during the office hours if you have any questions or leave a message and we will call you back . You may also email us using the form on the contact page.